How to get a Letter of Recommendation, Art of Acquiring
A recommendation letter or letter of recommendation, also known as a letter of reference, reference letter or simply reference, is a document in which the writer assesses the altitude of the aptitude & attitude of the person being recommended in terms of that individual's ability to perform a task or function of relevant field. Letters of recommendation are radically relevant to any employment or admission to institutions of higher education, or scholarship eligibility. Especially, a potential letter of recommendation for higher education can escalate any profile with a potential positive vibe. One should adept at the art of acquiring a luminous letter of recommendation by sensing the structured strategies.
· Whom to Ask: Explore the Recommenders
Graduate schools and colleges often ask for two or three recommendation letters from people who know one well enough. These letters should be written by someone who can describe his/her skills, personality & accomplishments. It’s important to find right people to write letters of recommendation for the utmost utilization through strategies:
- Each of applications for each college/school should be read individually and carefully. Schools often ask for letters of recommendation from an academic teacher and even sometimes on a specific subject or a school counselor or both. One needs to identify from whom he/she should glean it.
- Professors or teachers from immediate last academic institutions who have known one for a while should be selected to ask for a letter. Colleges always want the current perspective for their evaluation.
- A teacher who also knows one not only in the classroom but also in the productive work or projects should be selected to ask for a recommendation letter. For example, a teacher/adviser/mentor/instructor who directed one in a project, thesis, or research work can make a great reference proactively in a strong & credible sense to aid the letter.
- Apart from academic teachers other people can be considered if they are applicable in the particular application e.g.: an employer, a coach or an adviser from an activity outside of school who have a good understanding of one’s aptitude.
- If one is unsure about asking someone in particular, politely ask if he or she feels comfortable recommending you. That’s a good way to avoid weak letters.
- One should always remain concerned to ask someone who will be enthusiastic enough about writing the letter by knowing his/her deeds and dedication through their memory.
- Basis of Exploration: Make the Letter Stronger
The best letter writers would be those who know one’s well and can provide an evaluation of one’s identity and ability to perform and succeed at the graduate level or particular works. One should be concerned enough to utilize the basis of exploration to glean the best recommender to get the strongest letter through maintaining approaches:
- One should ask someone with the title of "Professor"/ " Associate/Assistant Professor" for the letter.
- The recommender should know one well academically or professionally in a relevant way.
- It would be better if the professors are at the school granting one’s undergraduate /postgraduate degrees.
- The letter writers should have earned the degree which one is seeking in the graduate work.
- One should look for someone to write the letter who has an advanced degree and who has supervised him/her in a job or an internship or any research projects aligned with the graduate program one is pursuing.
- It would be a proactive step to ask someone for the letter who has academically evaluated one with good grades or marks academically.
· When to Ask for Recommendations
Professors and supervisors are generally pleased to write on one’s behalf but they are usually involved in many activities. Faculties are especially busy during the months of admissions and examinations. One should be considerate enough of his/her letter writers’ time:
- One should make enough time for references and it should be at least one month before the earliest deadline to complete and send letters.
- It should be kept in mind that some teachers will be writing whole stacks of letters, which takes time. The teachers will do a better job on the letter if they don’t have to rush through their hectic schedules. They can get plenty of time to ponder one’s performances to write strongly.
- The earlier one asks, the better/stronger it may be.
- Route to Receive the Radiant Recommendations
Many of the professors write many recommendation letters throughout the year. It is a way of articulation to take enough time to speak with them even if they know one very well. It aids them to give positive, detailed information about one’s achievements and proactive potential by a touch of time through the memory. So, one should talk to them directly, personally going to their office/chamber or exchanging email with ample reverence. The applicant should structure some strategies to go onward and glean the letter:
- In order to approach to professors, teachers, an advisor or other referees, one should ready with a standard and relevant cv/resume, work examples that briefly reflect the activities and records to represent the candidate as a fit person for the particular position which helps the recommender perceiving the purpose.
- If recommender wants one to send other documents e.g.: academic transcripts, statement of research interests along with CV then one should make them ready and make documents in a standard way to send them as pdf through an email.
- One should discuss good grades in any exam in any particular courses, class participation, projects, research work which makes a good and positive vibe of one before their visualization. It would be better if one has done any academic function/work/projects with the specific recommender.
- The CV should precisely represent the challenges overcome, relevant accomplishments, altitude of aptitudes with academic excellence. The aim of the future step should be illuminated.
- It would be better to make an appointment ahead of time of deadline to talk them personally and advised by them coherently.
- Each of the approaches should be polite and humble by maintaining ample reverence.
- The students should maintain a good relationship with professors or advisors whom they like to follow in lessons and works from the beginning of academic year. They also should nurture their own personalities to make the recommenders believing in them. It would be easier to manage a recommender if they are well known to one for a long time through versatile works with relevancy e.g.: If one needs to have a recommendation letter for applying in a position of Ph.D. then a recommendation letter from graduate/undergraduate thesis/project supervisor would be a positive point for the application.
- One should always make it sure that the referees know the deadlines for each college. One can always use follow up email to give them a reminder respectfully.
- One should not forget to thank the referees/recommenders after deciding which college to attend. One should express and appreciate their strong support which will feel them succeeded as well. The letter will be important for one’s professional future.
- It should be kept in mind that letters from relatives, family friends, political figures are discouraged to utilize as they may be detrimental for the applications.
· Aid the Writer: Light the Letter
One should aid their letter writers to write enlightening letters by giving each of them a portfolio comprised of:
- A Copy of your transcript
- A sample of writing or portfolio of work
- A Statement of purpose or cover letter which is relevant
- Curriculum Vitae or resume in a standard form with relevancy
- The degree or fellowship program for which one is applying
- Name of the contact at the institution which is receiving the letter
- Address and dates (deadlines) for sending the letter timely before closing day of application
- Accessories and necessary letter forms, prompts, or the URL to complete and upload the letter with a view to providing the ease to the recommenders.
- Information through cover letter/email to let them know what one would like to be emphasized in each letter.
- It is a mandatory task to provide them the appropriate form of letter according to each school/college to let them find the path comfortable to complete and write the letter in an appropriate and timely manner though universities also send them instructions through email address.
- Active email address so that they can get in touch of the applicants in case they need to reach him/her.
- List/Name of institutions/schools/colleges one is applying and due dates and the earliest due date should be kept on the top.
Letters of recommendations are very important part of any admission process or any employment procedure which reflect the altitude of one’s aptitude apart from the academic grades and scores. The letters aid one’s motion towards a goal uniformly by being integrated if the letter is positive, proactive and strong enough to fuel the path of acceptance. One should be aware of his/her own conditions by means of academic/professional strengths, personality and records of noted functions to select a potential writer as the recommender who is radiantly relevant and potentially positive to light the letter to corroborate candidly.
Those who are worried about GRE Verbal can watch the video: GRE High-Frequency Word
GRE Geometry Part: Geometry in one play list
You would also like to know: I20 is the most important document that you will need for a student visa in the USA
- IELTS প্রবচন পর্ব - ০৮
- উচ্চশিক্ষায় সিজিপিএ বনাম জিআরই
- বাংলাদেশে ইংরেজি শেখার পদ্ধতিগত ভুল এবং উত্তরণের কৌশল
- শুন্য থেকে জি আর ই (GRE) প্রস্তুতিঃ পর্ব- ০৬
- স্টেটমেন্ট অব পারপাস (SOP) লেখার গুরুত্বপূর্ণ কিছু টিপস
- GRE verbal reasoning effective time management strategy
- Should you take home based GRE test?
- IELTS প্রবচন পর্ব - ০৮
- উচ্চশিক্ষায় সিজিপিএ বনাম জিআরই
- জি আর ই সম্পর্কে জানা অজানার কিছু মজার ও গুরুত্বপূর্ণ তথ্য
- Standard Test
- Decision Making
- University Selection
- Living Abroad
- Life in USA
- International Tour
- GRE Math
- Letter of Recommendation
- University Ranking
- Back Bencher
- Low CGPA
- Study Plan
- Scholarship Application Bangladesh
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship
- Merit Scholarships
- How to apply for commonwealth scholarship
- Chevening scholarship bangladesh
- Scholarship for bangladeshi students
- higher study prep gre test prep
- Business graduate
- Air ticket
- Learning english
- Statement of Purpose
- GRE Verbal